Silverware Holder From Aluminum Cans
The weather continues to get warmer and warmer and I am looking for more and more reasons to BBQ. I know I have said it before, but I really think food tastes better outside! In order to be able to enjoy eating on your back deck to the fullest though you need to be prepared. Which is why I made this silverware holder from aluminum cans. I got tired of simply laying my silverware on the table. It clutters the table and takes valuable space, plus you either have to set them on a dirty table, or find something to put under them. But then once all the silverware is used, you are just left with a paper towel or whatever that will just blow into the yard, ugh!
These silverware holders are not only super cheap to make, they are an adorable way to solve this common picnic dilemma. I even use them during indoor get togethers just to keep everything neat. Then when they aren’t being used, they can either store away, or you can use them as decorations with some flowers!
Also, I made mine to be fairly generic, but then depending on the occasion I will add extra themed ribbon, or other temporary accessory. You could also make several sets and paint them according to the themes you want. Make one set red, white and blue for patriotic celebrations. Another set can be your favorite sports team’s colors for game day parties! Like I said, they are so inexpensive to make, you can go wild!
Here is how mine turned out. Aren’t those adorable!
This post contains affiliate links. So if you choose to purchase any of the items I have recommended I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you, thanks!
How to make your own silverware holder from aluminum cans.
- Remove the label from your aluminum cans and clean them with soap and water.
- Once dry, paint your cans your desired color. I used this paint. I like the finished look, and the paint is a good quality which shows in its application.
- Apply a second coat of paint and allow it to dry completely.
- Lightly spray your painted cans with a clear enamel. This prevents the paint from chipping off. I use this matte finish enamel. Let them dry completely
- Now you can decorate your cans. I wrapped glitter scrapbooking tape from Michaels around the middle, then added a ribbon tied in a bow.
Now you are ready to add your silverware! They are so cute and people will be asking you how you made those! The best part…your silverware wont be scattered all over the place anymore!
Did you make a set? How did you decorate them?